Antioch College is searching for a Director of Communications. The Director reports to the Vice President for External Relations and has responsibilities for marketing, public relations, media relations, internal communications, brand management, creative services, and publications. The Director is a member of the External Relations team (which includes Advancement, Communications, and Institutional Effectiveness and Research) and supervises an associate director of communications, a graphic/web designer, and several consultants and contractors. The Director is responsible for the development of a communication strategy to promote and enhance the successful recreation of Antioch College.
Listed below is the job description for the position. Deadline for applications is July 25, 2014. Applications will be reviewed immediately and accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, writing sample, resume and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic applications are preferred. If direct mail is required, please send documents to Antioch College, Human Resources, One Morgan Place, Yellow Springs OH 45387.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership:
- Responsible for the development and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction of the College and its leadership.
- Develop strategic initiatives to recruit right-fit students.
- Plan and implement a strategic program of communications that reaches alumni through publications, news releases, electronic and print media, speeches, special events, and other vehicles.
- Drive awareness and support for the College beyond the base of alumni.
- Raise the profile of the College through national media attention.
- Help educate internal partners and stakeholders on the mission, vision, and plans for the College.
- Partner with WYSO radio station and The Antioch Review to create strategies to utilize their resources to enhance the College’s offerings and reach.
- Serve as spokesperson for the College.
- Oversee media relations, publications, online media, college events, and overall promotion.
- Oversee the writing, design, and production of print and electronic publications, including tri-annual alumni magazine, bi-weekly newsletter, special reports, numerous other publications and communications.
- Manage contractors working on college marketing products/collateral, including copywriter/editor, web developers and designers.
- Monitor media coverage of the College.
- Represent the College at official functions on campus and in the community.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or related field required; master’s preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ experience and success in communications or related field.
- Excellent writing, editing and computer skills.
- The ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously, works as a team member, and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with graphic design/desktop publishing software, such as InDesign, Photoshop, or Illustrator would be an asset as is public speaking ability and knowledge of issues in higher education.