Antioch College Health & Wellness Center Renovation
Estimated completion: Summer 2014
Construction began in June 2013 on the renovation of Antioch College’s Health and Wellness Center, the former Curl Gymnasium, located on the southwest end campus. Contractors from Thomas and Marker will rehab or reconfigure much of the interior of the 44,000-square-foot facility, which was originally constructed in 1929 and last renovated in 1964.
The Health and Wellness Center will provide a much-needed communal space for members of the college and the Yellow Springs community to come together to focus on health, exercise and wellness. Once complete, the center will include:
· A fully equipped fitness room with state of the art cardiovascular equipment, strength machines, weight-lifting equipment and a small walking track
· An indoor court for basketball and volleyball
· Multi-purpose studio spaces for yoga, group fitness classes, martial arts and stress management
· 2 racquetball courts
· A 6-lane, 25-yard indoor swimming pool for aquatic fitness, safety courses, and swimming lessons
· An outdoor deck off of the pool
· A whirlpool for therapeutics
· A healthy grab-and-go snack bar
· Brand new locker rooms
· A brand new lounge for gathering and socializing
· A multi-use space for special events, lectures, conferences, retreats and performances
Renovations outside of the center will include new sidewalks and a drop-off circle for motor vehicles, a beautifully landscaped courtyard with outdoor seating, and a rain garden with native plantings.
Membership fees and programming will be determined once the Director is hired after the first of the year.
The project will cost $8 million and the facility is expected to achieve LEED Gold certification upon completion in summer 2014.